Tuesday, June 7, 2011

It's a Family Guy!

Last night I was able to watch the Adult Swim premiere of the third Family Guy Star Wars episode "It's a Trap!". This was my first time watching this episode and I wanted to write out some thoughts on it.


First some background info, Family Guy had a large amount of Star Wars jokes that were being used in the show. Eventually everyone realized that they could do a parody of the first Star Wars movie (A New Hope) with all the Family Guy characters taking on the roles of the various Star Wars characters: Chris became Luke, Peter was Han, etc... This episode was "Blue Harvest" and it was a huge success. It was created during a time when Family Guy was stagnating in quality and was one of the best episodes the series had ever produced.
An example of the awesomeness of Blue Harvest:


Well, due to success of "Blue Harvest", Family Guy produced another episode based on The Empire Strikes Back ("Something, Something, Something Dark Side"), many people I knew thought this episode was considerably weaker to "Blue Harvest", I personally found "Dark Side" okay, they're definitely was some unusually character casting choices: Mort Goldman as Lando and Carter (whom played Uncle Owen in the previous episode) playing the Emperor. Both work really well so I can't argue, the episode just didn't have the same wonder and amazing newness of "Blue Harvest".


Eventually it seemed mandatory that Family Guy needed to make an episode based on Return of the Jedi, and they did just that. If "Dark Side" had some questionable casting choices, then "Trap" was even worse: because they ventured outside the characters of Family Guy and included characters from Seth Mcfarlene's other shows, American Dad and Cleveland Show. I feel like this was kind of lazy, the other episodes never featured these other characters in nothing more than a cameo (Roger from American Dad can be seen in the background at the Catina), I feel like they just put these characters in just because they were really popular. But, the jokes were pretty good, better than "Dark Side". In fact there was actually a Consuela joke I really liked. I never appreciated Family Guy shoving her in the show as much as possible, but the scene she was in was hilarious, it made the episode for me.
I couldn't find the joke but here's a different scene from "It's a Trap!"



So should you see this episode? I say yes, all the Star Wars Family Guy episodes are of a reliably good quality, much more reliable than the normal episodes. "It's a Trap!" is available right now for free, so I would recommend checking it out.


A final note, Family Guy has said in the show that they wouldn't do the Star Wars prequels. But I would love it, if Family Guy did a Indiana Jones episode like they do with the Star Wars episodes. They use so many Indiana Jones jokes (as many or maybe even more than Star Wars jokes) I think it would be really fun. What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment