Monday, July 25, 2011

A Look at Harvest Moon Animal Parade



I finally got Harvest Moon Animal Parade a few days ago and have been playing it when I could (it's hard when you have a brother who plays a lot of Xbox 360...). I've been enjoying it so far and want to mention some things I've thought of while playing:

~ First off, I'm not too terribly far in the game. I've only rung the Red Bell, but all I have to do to ring the Yellow Bell is grow the 10 crops to get where the bell is. So I haven't gotten married or had any kids yet.

~ It is really hard to woo people in this game! After about 10 or so days of giving gifts to Renee, she only has one heart. >__< It is easier to gain friendship with people if you "rub" them with the 2nd player controller before you give them gifts. I did eventually get a 2nd Wiimote working and started doing it.

~ I hate the mining system in this game. Most Harvest Moon games have it where you go in the mine and break rocks and you can sell them and use them to upgrade your tools. In this game you have to get them refined first for 35 gold a piece(!). And you have a high possibility of that gold ore you got to be a worthless junk ore. I don't understand why they do this, it seems so pointless and makes mining all about luck and a less profitable method of making money.

~ To go off the previous point, I hate having to use fertilizer. I hated it in Harvest Moon a Wonderful Life, and I hate it here too. Basically fertilizer increases the quality of the soil and therefore increases the quality of the crop and/or makes it produce faster. Which is fine, except the only way you can get it is buying it. I wish there was a way to make fertilizer, because if you want an entire field of high quality crops, you need to spend 40 gold a bag for DECENT fertilizer. I just like the old days when all you had to do was plant and water your crops.

~ I do love how you can see your stamina in a little bar in the bottom right-hand corner. So you can know when to go into the Hot Spring or stop using your tools. It's much easier than relying on your farmer's exhaustion animations.

~ It's very easy to work on multiple quests at the same time, while I had to stop working on the Red Bell due to the fact I couldn't activate an event during rain (not just one day of rain either, but THREE STRAIGHT DAYS OF RAIN!) I unintentionally activated the start of the Yellow Bell quest and was able to start it, until the rain made it impossible. But it was nice that I could work on both of them at the same time.

That's all I can think of at this time... I know a lot of my points sound negative, but I really do like this game. I'm just at the beginning stage of the game where stuff is really difficult, I'll hopefully reach that point in the game where everything will become easier.

Also, before you go you should check out this blog my friends started. It's called the The Players' Consortium and is a blog devoted to video games and things relating to them. It's really good and I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment