Friday, July 1, 2011

The Graduating of Bands

On July 1st, The Graduate, an American indie band formed November 2005, has broken up. 
They have officially stated that they are permanent hiatus, but they are not sounding like a reunion is anywhere in the near future. They haven't given a specific reason for the hiatus, but they do admit having a couple of rough years. The stress may have gotten to them, but this is only guesswork, the actual post of their break-up is here.
   The feeling best felt by most fans of a band break-up can be summed up by Graduate member Cory Warning in this tweet, "kinda feeling like I just broke up with 2,000 girlfriends and boyfriends through a text message" This really touches upon the feelings of both fans and musicians when a band breaks-up or the line-up changes. I can recall my feelings when a band I love decides to call it quits, you have achieved almost an emotional connection to a performer you really care about much like dating someone. But much like dating someone, when they break-up, it's like they are severing the relationship between you, the fan, and them. I also imagine it's hard for the band members, they love performing music (or at least you hope...) and there are bands whom form close relationship with their bands.

   I never really listened much to this band, but my younger brother and cousin were both rather fond of The Graduate. While I'm sure any fan is probably devastated by this news, you can at least take heart that you can still listen to their songs on your MP3 player of choice and get other people into them. Speaking of such, the one song by them I have on my Itunes is "I Survived". If you never heard of them before here's a nice treat to celebrate the legacy of a band.

No comments:

Post a Comment